COMPANY NEWS Normet adds D-Bolt into its range of support 04 Feb 2013
- Acquisition of the Dynamic Rock Support AS company of Norway by the Normet Group Oy of Finland brings the energy absorbent D-Bolt system into Normet's range of rock reinforcement offerings to the international civil tunnelling and mining industries.
- Dynamic Rock Support AS (DRS), owned by ProVenture Seed, Salvesen&Thams, NTNU, the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, and its founders, is based in Trondheim, Norway and has subsidiaries in Australia and Canada. As a spin-out from the NTNU in 2008, Chairman of Dynamic Rock Support Thor Egil Five said of the acquisition: "It is always gratifying to see technology developed in a start-up company and take the next step in contribution to industry and society.
- The company's main focus is on providing reliable technology that ensures safety and gives cost savings for underground construction and mines where challenging ground conditions involving squeezing or dynamic ground risk needs to be managed. For these particular situations DRS brought to commercial use the patented D-Bolt system developed by Professor Charlie C Li at NTNU for application in squeezing and burst-prone strata.
- "This acquisition is a good strategic fit to Normet," said Tom Melbye, President of Normet Group. "It broadens our offering to underground customers and reinforces our aim to be a total solution provider, especially in ground support and rock reinforcement. With our sprayed concrete, grouting and injection technologies and products, the D-Bolt system adds to how we can help our customers to make underground construction safer, even in difficult strata under high stresses and experiencing excessive deformations."
D-Bolt advantage in highly stressed rock
- Since successful laboratory and field tests began in 2008, and the start of commercial sales in 2010, DRS has gained a strong market share of rock support business in the Nordic region, Canada and Australia.
- "We believe that Normet, which shares the DRS focus on quality and improving the safety of underground works is a very fitting host for DRS", said Gisle Østereng, CEO of Dynamic Rock Support AS. "With the backing of Normet's worldwide organisation, the technology and expertise fostered by DRS will continue to serve the mining and tunnelling operators with leading ground support and rock reinforcement products."
- Dynamic Rock Support AS will be part of Normet's Rock Reinforcement Business Line, managed by Mike Rispin, Senior Vice President of Normet Group. "We will expand the focus of bringing the innovative D-Bolt technology to our existing and new customers," said Rispin. "Combined with our expertise in resin and cementitious based bolt grouts, and associated with a proven track record in rock mass reinforcement via injection, we offer a wide array of solutions."
- With the latest acquisition, Normet continues its aggressive expansion strategy. The fast-growing technology company provides advanced solutions for selected customer processes in underground mining and tunnelling environments. The Group develops, manufactures and markets shotcreting robots and ancilliary support machines for mechanised explosive charging and underground logistics. It also produces and distributes construction chemicals via its TAM division, as well as offering a comprehensive range of life-time care services around the equipment and their processes.
- As a leader in its market segment, Normet now employs nearly 1,000 business professionals and has its own sales and service companies in 6 continents, 24 countries and 36 locations. Net sales for the group in 2012 was €240 million.
Normet unveils its new charging concept - TunnelTalk, October 2012
Normet completes full acquisition of TAM - TunnelTalk, June 2012
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.