TBM RECORDER Hydro breakthrough for EPBM in Panama 28 Feb 2013
SELI News Release
- The last segment of the 3.36km x 6.79m diameter headrace tunnel of the El Alto hydroelectric project in Panama in the province of Chiriquì, near Costa Rica, was completed on 18 February, culminating in a breakthrough attended by SELI project managers and board directors of the Power Holdings Inc Hydro Caisàn SA JV responsible for the project.
Hydro headrace breakthrough in Panama
- Excavation was completed using an EPBM built by SELI at its factory in Aprilia, Italy. The El Alto project is the second EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) contract awarded to SELI in Panama. The company is also involved in the Pando and Monte Lirio projects.
The El Alto EPC contract was awarded in 2010 for a value of US$46 million. In addition to excavation and lining of the bored tunnel, the contract scope includes
• Steel lining of last 240m of the
• Construction of surge tanks, a
368m-long penstock, and a
piezometric shaft of 96m deep
- Hydro Caisán SA, with 86.5% of its shares belonging to the multinational engineering company, Tahal Group International BV, headquartered in the Netherlands, has a 50-year franchise for operation of the El Alto plant when it comes on-line later in 2013.
EPBM push in Panama - TunnelTalk, February 2011
Panama awards hydro scheme TBM drives - TunnelTalk, March 2010
Panama awards urgent Esti headrace repair - TunnelTalk, December 2011
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.