NEW PRODUCTS AND INNOVATIONS Detecting interest in the tunnelling sector Apr 2012
- Sensor technology company Trolex has added two new detection modules as it looks to expand its presence in equipment supply for the tunnelling industry.
Trolex Sentro-8 system
- Humidity and temperature modules are now available for the Sentro-8 and Sentro-1 detection systems, to add to an existing array of sensors that include vibration, hazardous gas concentrations, pressure and proximity.
- Sentro-8, the result of two years of development, can monitor all types of environmental conditions such as vibration, pressure and flow, and now temperature and humidity with the addition of the two new modules.
- Additionally gases such as methane, oxygen and carbon monoxide can be monitored all in one integrated package. Sentro-8 is ready to be configured to meet gas detection and condition monitoring requirements without the need for complex investment in system design or the need for specialist back-up.
- Sentro-1 employs similar new technology for standalone single gas safety, temperature and humidity monitoring in mining, tunnelling and industrial applications where robust equipment is essential in these adverse environments.
- Trolex in one of the leaders in gas detection and environmental monitoring for the mining industry, but is looking to expand its presence in the tunnelling sector.
Two new sensory modules added to Trolex range
- In the UK Trolex is supplying Costain with 13 Sentro-8 Sensorstations, complete with global alarm pushbuttons, for use during construction of the Brighton and Hove Waste Water Treatment Works 2.44m diameter supply tunnels. The project uses 13 Sentro-8 Sensorstations, each with 3 eModules monitoring H2S, CH4 and O2, O3 and O4. There are two spare channels in each of the Sentro-8's for future extension of the system if required. Along with the Sentro-8 stations Costain is using 13 CO2 infrared gas detectors and six air-flow sensors. All the information from these products is displayed on a PC and SCADA system in the control room.
- The Sentro 8's are fitted on to the TBMs to monitor their performance and condition, as well as within the tunnel itself to ensure the environment is safe for personnel working inside.
- Trolex also supplied Balfour Beatty with Sentro-8 detection technology during construction of the A3 Hindhead Tunnel.
- Hindhead Tunnel opens in UK - TunnelTalk, July 2011
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.