NEW PRODUCTS AND INNOVATIONS Pipe plugs for underground maintenance 06 Nov 2013
Trelleborg News Release
- A new range of pipe plugs with underground maintenance applications for pipes up to 2.4m in diameter is introduced by global sealing expert Trelleborg.
Practical application of Trelleborg pipe plug
New pipe plug range
- The company's offshore and construction infrastructure business, which supplies polymer-based critical solutions for deployment in highly demanding infrastructure environments, launches a new product that is lighter, safer and more flexible to install.
- "Pipe closures for maintenance or construction work are a common occurrence in sewage systems, so it is important that they are done quickly and efficiently to reduce delays or potential problems. In some instances, the pipe must be completely blocked off or the flow reduced. In these cases an inflatable stopper or pipe plug is ideal for the job," said Jacco Vonk, Business Development Manager within Trelleborg Offshore and Construction. "We have invested heavily into the design and manufacturing processes of our pipe plugs, to create a product which is simpler for installers to fit and is safer once in situ."
- Trelleborg's new production process means that the plugs are no longer fully manufactured by hand, resulting in a higher consistency of quality control and the ability to ensure finite detail within each plug. Produced using layers of rubber reinforced with high quality Aramid, the material can now be applied more tightly so less fabric is required, resulting in a much lighter and more flexible product.
- With new side handles incorporated into the design, the plugs are now easier to handle and maneuver into position. In addition, the top plates are smaller in diameter, making transportation through tight manholes and difficult 90° pipe turns much easier and quicker. The refined material application used within the new range will provide the plugs with an advanced ability to withstand high back pressures, significantly reducing any concerns of plug failures.
- The multi-size, inflatable flow stopper range is available for underground pipe diameters ranging from 40mm to 2,400mm and can be specified with, or without, a bypass. The improved designs are expected to decrease the time taken to install and remove the plugs, as well as improve flexibility and safety.
Inflatable protection against inundation - TunnelTalk, December 2012
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.