Closing in on final breakthroughs in Milan 12 Jun 2013
Seli News Release
- Final breakthrough on the first of two parallel tunnels on Lot 2 of the Garibaldi-San Siro Milan Line 5 metro extension is just days away, reports Italian contractor Seli.
Seli breakthrough at Cenisio Station
- The TBM manufacturer and tunnel services company is operating two EPB machines of 6.79m (TBM1) and 6.76m (TBM2) diameter on behalf of the Astaldi/Ansaldo Breda/ATM/Alstrom joint venture.
- The two TBMs broke through on the third of four drives at Domodossola Station on 4 May and 20 May respectively. TBM1 was relaunched for its final 370m drive on 29 May (2013), while TBM2 is scheduled to restart tunnelling in a few days time (June 15). Final breakthrough for TBM1, which as of 12 June (2013) was 56m (40 rings) short of the station wall, is expected on Saturday (15 June 2013). TBM2 is scheduled for launch on June 25, depending on the state of advance works at Domodossola Station by Astaldi.
- In total Seli will have completed 2.2km of twin running tunnels between Monumental Station and Tre Torri as part of an overall US$1.2 billion 6.7km LRT metro extension to Line 5 between Garibaldi and San Siro. The eastbound drives between San Siro and Tre Torre are being completed using two more TBMs, with the total 10-station extension expected to be complete in time for EXPO 2015.
- The 1.9km Phase 2 construction between Zara and Garibaldi, via a station at Isola, is expected to open by the end of this year (2013) and will add connections with Line 2 at Garibaldi and Line 3 at Zara. Once complete the whole 12km extension will feature driverless trains.
- A feasibility study for a further 6.3km Line 5 extension between Bignami and Monza has been completed, while 9.7km and 14.8km extensions are planned for Lines 2 and 3 respectively.
|Table 1. Progress of Lot 2 Monumental-Tre Torri drives|
|Location||Drive length||Daily average
|Peak daily production|
|Monumental - Cenisio||690m||9.55 rings (13.4m)||10.78 rings (15.1)||17 rings (23.8m) - TBM 1 and 2|
|Cenisio - Gerusalemme||600m||9.88m (average)||10.61m (average)||20 rings (28m) - TBM2|
|Gerusalemme - Domodossola||370m||11.52 rings (16.13m)||13.25 rings (18.55m)||23 rings (32.2m) - TBM1|
|Domodossola - Tre Torri||270m||12.5 rings (17.5m)||Due for launch 25 June||n/a|
Pushing ahead with Milan metro Line 5 - TunnelTalk, March 2013
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.