LOVAT's TBM to Edmonton + finance services Oct 2008
- Acquisition of LOVAT by Caterpillar is already paying dividends to LOVAT customers who can now finance TBM purchases through Caterpillar's Financial Services.
- According to LOVAT, the City of Edmonton, Department of Public Works and Asset Management is the first of its customers to utilize the service with the purchase of a new LOVAT MP159SE Series 25500 TBM.
- The 4.03m diameter TBM is equipped with LOVAT type ripper teeth, scraper teeth and a four spoke cuttinghead design for soft ground excavation. The cuttinghead is powered by a hydraulic drive system (600kW) with maximum torque of 3,000kNm at 1.9 rpm. The TBM has been provisioned for the future installation of a screw conveyor to allow operation in EPB mode.
- The TBM will be used to bore the Mill Woods Double Barrel Replacement Storm Trunk at a length of 1,750m and a maximum slope of 0.10%. The entire tunnel alignment is below groundwater level in impermeable soils with a depth of cover varying from 30 to 37m. The subsurface profile along the tunnel alignment consists of variable thicknesses of low strength clay, shale and sandstone.
- LOVAT is also supplying technical assistance for TBM assembly, testing and the initial drive. The TBM is scheduled to be delivered mid 2009.