Jacobs Engineering News Release
- Project management consultancy for the Doha metro Red Line North and Red Line South is awarded by Qatari Rail to Jacobs Engineering.
Red Line will connect the new city of Lusail to Doha
- The Red Line is within Phase 1 of the Doha metro project and represents a significant stage of Qatar's Integrated Rail Program. Phase 1 involves approximately 58 miles (93km) of track to include the Red, Green and Gold lines.
- These three lines - plus the Blue Line slated for Phase 2 - are designed to connect major sites in Qatar linking the north, south and west of the capital. The entire network is anticipated to cover approximately 134 miles and include 100 stations.
- Jacobs will manage the delivery of underground works for the Red Line, a total of 16 miles (25km) of twin running alignment running from Mesaieed in the south through the center of Doha to Al Khor in the north.
Phase 1 of Doha metro
- The line also branches to the New Doha International Airport to serve the city's growing population as well as visitors, including those expected to travel to Doha for the FIFA 2022 Soccer World Cup.
- Working as an integrated project team with Qatari Rail's project staff, Jacobs is providing project management and engineering services for the underground sections of the Red Line. Construction contracts have already been awarded to the Impregilo/SK Engineering/ Galfar JV (for the 13km sections of Red Line North) and to the Qatar Diar/Vinci/GS Engineering/Al-Darwish JV (for the 12km sections of Red Line South). The construction of Phase 1 is expected to be complete by 2019.
- In making the announcement, Jacobs Group Vice President Bob Duff said: "This award provides us with the opportunity to further develop our relationship with the Qatar Railway Company. We look forward to bringing our global infrastructure capabilities and PMC resources together to deliver this important project, and to continuing our support of QRC in the long term delivery of their Integrated Rail Project."
Doha rolls out metro contracts - TunnelTalk, June 2013
Qatar begins Doha metro tunnel awards - TunnelTalk, April 2013
Doha progresses to metro construction - TunnelTalk, August 2012
Qatar drives forward with Doha metro - TunnelTalk, December 2011
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.