COMPANY NEWS Australian expansion for Jacobs Associates 9 Apr 2014
Jacobs AssociatesNews release
- Jacobs Associates (JA) signals expansion of its Australasian tunnel infrastructure design and engineering portfolio with the opening of a new office in Sydney.
- The new office – the company’s second in Australia – will support ongoing projects in the city, including the North West Rail Link that comprises 15km of twin running 6.6m i.d. tunnels. But the Sydney rail mega project is only the latest in a long list of Australian projects that have benefited from JA’s experience in underground construction. The firm’s history in the region dates back to the 1950s, when founder J. Donovan Jacobs was involved with the Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Scheme. Since that time, JA has been involved in more than 40 major tunnelling projects and tenders in the region, including the Narrows Marine Crossing in Queensland, Brisbane’s Airport Link Tunnel, the Northern Sewerage Project in Melbourne, Sydney’s M5 East Motorway, and Melbourne CityLink.
- Mark Trim, a Lead Associate with JA who helped establish the company’s Melbourne office, will play a key role in establishing the new Sydney office. Trim has 15 years of experience as a design engineer specialising in permanent and temporary underground structures, with an emphasis on tunnel design, deep excavation support systems, soil structure interaction, and ground improvement technology. Some of the larger tunnel projects he has worked on in the past 12 years include the Central Artery/Tunnel Project (The Big Dig) in Boston, the Second Avenue Subway in New York City, the Brightwater Conveyance System Project in Seattle, and the Airport Link Project in Brisbane, Australia. He has also worked on the Northern Sewerage Project in Melbourne, Australia, and the Kaneohe-Kailua Wastewater Conveyance Project in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- “The Sydney office positions us to better provide tunnel and underground engineering for transport, water, wastewater, and energy resources projects in New South Wales, while increasing our overall capacity to serve local clients,” said Trim.
- Karl Assi, manager of the firm’s Melbourne office, said: “ I am very excited about the opportunities that will come with our growing presence in Australia. The Sydney office will improve our service to Australian clients regionally as well.”
JA is aiming for steady growth in Australasia by building its client base, and providing service on major
infrastructure projects scheduled for the region. Headquartered in San Francisco, USA, the company currently
employs 225 staff worldwide. The new office, located in the MLC Centre at 19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, joins JA
offices in Melbourne, Australia, and Auckland, New Zealand.
Jacobs Associates expands to New Zealand
- TunnelTalk, March 2011
NFM to supply all four TBMs for Sydney mega project - TunnelTalk, September 2013
Sydney awards billion dollar rail mega project - TunnelTalk, September 2013
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.