Sealing the Gdansk under-river highway 10 Apr 2013
- Segment gaskets for the twin-tube highway tunnels under the Vistula River in Gdansk, Poland, are to be supplied by ES Rubber of Israel.
ES Rubber gaskets for the lining
- Contractor OHL (Obrason Huarte Lain) of Spain in JV with PDG Group of Poland, has selected the sealing system as part of its contract for construction of the 1.1km twin tube highway tunnel under the Vistula River.
- The JV has procured a 12.56m Herrenknecht Mixshield for the river crossing and Herrenknecht Formwork is awarded the contract to design, manufacture and supply the segment moulds for the 600mm thick segmental lining. The lining comprises five segments and key in each ring with the larger segments weighing 18 tonne.
- The Mixshield slurry TBM and the joints of the lining are required to withstand hydrostatic pressures of a maximum 3.5 bar. This is within the specifications of the machine and within the tolerance limits of the ES Rubber T-44 system that has been selected for the segment seals. A total of 2,090 concrete segments will be fitted with the gasket.
- An advantage of the gaskets is their soft corners which have less volume and therefore smaller reaction loads. This ES Rubber innovative and patented feature prevents damage to the segment corners. The gaskets are made to tolerance class E1 and have been tested extensively at the MPA Bau research institute in Hannover, Germany.
- As a designer and producer of gaskets, ES Rubber offers a range of solutions for the tunnelling industry within its innovative TunnelFlex system. The system includes gaskets ranging from the T-29, designed for hydrostatic pressures to 2 bar, to the T-44 system that is ordered for the Ghask project and designed to seal against water pressures of up to 6 bar.
- Among other projects, ES Rubber is selected to provide its TunnelFlex T-33 Plus gasket system for the 14km twin running tunnels of the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem high speed rail project.
- The highway crossing of the Vistula in Gdasnk is part of a €221 million contract to build the final 2.4km stage of the 10.7km Slovacki Highway linking Gdansk airport with the national highway network and routes to Warsaw.
Gdansk accepts TBM for vital river crossing - TunnelTalk, September 2012
TBM river crossing for Gdansk air-sea link - TunnelTalk, April 2012
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.