Three bids for ARC's Palisades tunnels Dec 2009
Paula Wallis, TunnelTalk
- New Jersey Transit received three bids on Tuesday (December 15, 2009) for the second major tunneling contract for the $8.7 billion transit tunnel under the Hudson River from New Jersey to Manhattan.
New Jersey-New York rail route
The lowest of the three bids, at $258,786,000, was submitted by the
Schiavone-Shea-Skanska-JV. Schiavone is wholly owned by Dragados of Spain, Shea is a leading US-based tunneling contractor, and Skanska is headquartered in Sweden.
A second bid of $303,675,117 came from the OHL/Tully JV. OHL is an international construction company based in Spain and Tully is the local US partner.
ARC Constructors, a JV of SA Healy, CCA Civil and Halmar put in a bid of $309,820,850.SA Healy is the wholly owned subsidiary of Impregilo of Italy, CCA Civil is based in the USA, and Halmar International is re-established as an independent company severing previous association with Granite Construction.
- The Schiavone-Shea-Skanska-JV is already heavily invested in New York transit projects. It is working on the first $337 million contract for the 2nd Avenue Subway project and is progressing the $1.145 billion negotiated contract for the No 7 Line extension of the Subway from Time Square under 41st St and 11th Ave to 34th St. Schiavone is also rebuilding the South Ferry Subway station in Lower Manhattan while Schiavone and Shea in joint venture with Frontier Kemper, are completing more than 45,000ft (13.7km) of tunnel excavation and concrete lining for the Water Tunnel No 3 project for the Department of Environmental Protection a value of more than $1 billion.
- Prequalification documents for the twin 7,300ft(2.225km) Hudson River tunnels are due next week on December 22, 2009.
ARC's Manhattan railway tunnels awarded - TunnelTalk, Dec 2009
Strong competition for first ARC contract - TunnelTalk, Nov 2009
ARC prepares Hudson Tunnels contract - TunnelTalk, Oct 2009
ARC contract update - TunnelTalk, July 2009
First ARC contract advertised - video - TunnelTalk, May 2009
Access to the Regions Core - video - TunnelTalk, Feb 2009
East Side Access optimizations - TunnelTalk, Aug 2008
- ARC contractor information
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.